peru & machu picchu
Peru, the archaeological and cultural jewel of South America, with intriguing remains of the fabled Inca empire. Depending on time available, the following could be included in your tour to Peru:
- Lima, the capital, with its beautiful colonial buildings
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas with its many Inca sites
- The lovely colonial city of Cusco, with its surrounding archaeological gems
- The mysterious Inca mountain fortress of Machu Picchu, undoubtedly the greatest archaeological discovery of modern times
- Puno and Lake Titicaca
- A flight over the Nasca lines
- The Atacama desert, subject to high altitude tolerance
The Peruvian winter (May – September) is the driest season and therefore the best time of year to travel, especially if you are planning to visit Cusco, the Sacred Valley area and Machu Picchu.
All photographs by our tour leader in Peru, 2017.